My Perfect Man
How to Build the Perfect Home for my Perfect Man
Once I had made Som-Chai, My Perfect Man, I knew I had to cement our relationship by building our Perfect Home. Which led to my final question – Once you have the Perfect Man and the Perfect Home, can you truly be happy?
Well, so far, I can say, yes. Som-Chai does makes me happy. He reflects all that is true in me – my passions, my inspirations, my joy and my peace. He is also kind, generous and brings a smile to everyone he meets.
Som Chai and I want to thank the devoted team behind this project.
Firstly, our Burmese builders, Low and Lough. They are smart, reliable and resourceful.
Also the Compeung team: Pa, the head supervisor, who was promptly here at 8am every morning. Ong, the brain and the hands behind this construction, and also the provider of nightly music that pumped us up even more.
I thank Gabor for his evening bursts of power and energy and his belief in this project. Linda – thanks for your perfect pics and the interior decoration of our Home.
And most importantly, Ma, for adding her nurturing care to the whole site. With warm hearts, Som Chai and I leave you with our words of appreciation and blessings.
We will carry the spirit of this haven back to Melbourne, Australia and look forward to our return.
My Perfect Man
The Plan (in plasticine)
01. Measuring the area
02. Removing the bark from the trunks
03. The soil arrives
04. Me, Pa and Low erect the trunks/poles
05. Unloading the grass-matting
06. Calculating the centre of our home
07. Connecting the radiating poles
08. Attaching the cross beams
09. Building the roof cap
10. The roof cap peak
11. Adding the radiating umbrella cover
12. Attaching the cross beams on the roof
13. Organising the grass matting
14. Laying the matting
15. Sewing the matting
16. Enjoying the view
17. Filling the bags with soil
18.Pounding the bags filled with soil
19.I need a rest
20. Showing Som Chai around
21. So exciting
22. Filling the gaps with mortar
23. Mixing the mortar
24. Plastering mud bags
25.Spreading the mortar
26. Rest time again
27. Spreading the powdered dye
28. A visit from the monks
29. Building the table structure
30. Painting the pattern on the seat
31.Close up of table structure from tyres and bamboo
32.Smoothing the cement on the table
33. Low is finishing off the plastering
34. Plastering the table base
35. Our home is almost finished!
36. Gaabor & Ong pounding the ground
37. Laying bricks for the floor
38. Gaabor & Ong working hard
39. Ong putting up the sign 'Jane & Som Chai's Home'
40.Our Home (Baan) is complete
41.All cleaned up
42. Now that I have a Man AND a Home, I can be truly HAPPY!